9191 is Volcom’s newest snow project that follows Gigi Ruf around the world and documents his riding. Ruf is one of my favorite riders so this release was on my must see list for this season. I got home popped the disc in and immediately checked the run time ( as I do with most snow/skate dvd’s) I was not happy to see it was a sad 24 minutes long. It bummed me out but I started to watch and for some reason unlike Respect your Elders which was a fast 28 minutes 9191 seemed much longer than 24. Even so I still didnt think I could give it a “go buy it” review because 24 minutes is just way too short, however more on that in a minute. First heres a few thoughts on the film in no particular order.
- Its a beautiful film … Jake Price really got some amazing shots and angles
- Even though its “Gigi’s movie” its features tons of other people mostly Luke Mitrani, Bryan “the Guch” Iguchi, Nicolas Muller, Willie Yli-Luoma, Jake Blauvelt, and Blair Habenicht
- Speaking of Blauvelt if you didnt see my Hostynek interview where he talks about Blauvelts reasons for leaving Forum you should check it out. Its the best decision hes ever made in my opinion because like in Absinthes Nowhere Blauvelts riding really steals the show. I think Absinthe has a new heavy hitter much like Muller and Ruf thats really going to blow up in the next few seasons
- If you like skating theres even a fast 4 trick segment of Chis Pfanner
- Although Gigi influences how I ride hell never influence my clothing style … damn man just damn at some of that Volcom gear
- Barons soundtrack is amazing. He does a great job of encompassing the mood of the scenes with his original pieces and collaborations.
Ok well so Im obviously pumped on the project but remember its only 24 minutes so how could I possibly give it a “go buy” rating when I basically nixed Respect Your Elders for being 28 minutes long. Well lets talk about the extras because thats the key for salvaging this review. The extras are the saving grace of the film, 23 chapters with over 90 minutes of footage. Yes you read that right 90 minutes of bonus. Of course some of it is teasers and some of it is just random stuff like the guys renting segways but there is still plenty of riding from all over the globe within the extras. In fact there may be more Iguchi riding in the extras than in the movie proper. There is also some stuff with Baron recording the soundtrack thats pretty cool like having Dave Lombardo from Slayer come in and lay down some drum solos for the film. Also there is a 20 minute section of Volcoms west coast winter tour with lots of park riding from the team and band footage from Kandi Coded and Tweak Bird. All of the extras are worth watching a few times and after you go through them you can note the ones with all the riding and just watch them to effectively more than double the length of the main movie. Finally theres one more bonus, each Dvd comes with a code that will enable you to download the full Baron Soundtrack off the interwebz which is cool for me because I like to have lots of music from videos on my MP3 player when Im riding.
So in conclusion taking the whole disc into account with the 24 minute main piece and the 90 minutes of extras Id say if you are a fan of big free riding and Ruf, Muller, etc this is a definite must have. The riding and riders are top notch the soundtrack keeps you entertained and the extras have tons of little goodies within them. 9191 is $24 at your local shop, also on iTunes ( I think) and is available now.